- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 225ml/8fl oz tomato ketchup or
- tomato sauce
- 350ml/12fl oz cider vinegar
- 50ml/2fl oz Worcestershire sauce
- 75g/3oz golden granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and sweat gently, stirring, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the ketchup or tomato sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, chilli powder and cayenne.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for about 20 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly.