- 300ml/10fl oz white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1.4kg/3lb ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 25g/1oz salt
- 100g/4oz golden granulated sugar such as Demerara
• Put the vinegar and mixed spice in a stainless-steel or enamelled saucepan. Bring to the boil and remove from the heat. Cover and leave to infuse for 3–4 hours.
• Put the tomatoes in a separate heavy saucepan over a medium heat, and simmer gently until pulpy.
• Rub the tomato pulp through a sieve into a bowl. Return the strained pulp to the cleaned pan. Add the salt and simmer gently until the mixture thickens. Add the sugar and infused vinegar, stirring until completely dissolved.
• Continue simmering, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is the consistency of whipped cream. Pot into hot sterilized glass jars, and seal tightly (make sure the lids are vinegar-proof). The tomato sauce will keep for up to 6 months.